CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, April 30, 2012

Some Recipes I've Tried

We planted our vegetable garden a couple weekends ago and now I'm looking for recipes to use all the wonderful veggies when they are ready to be picked. I started out looking for zucchini recipes and actually tried out 2 recipes so far with store bought zucchini. Can't wait until our veggies are ready to pick because the 2 recipes I tried were awesome and I thought I would share them here. 

Zucchini Snack-Cake Squares (recipe from Parents magazine May 2012): All three of my kiddos loved these zucchini squares (miraculous since it is difficult to find something they all like.) I called them zucchini cake ( I first told Isaac it was just cake and after he ate the first one I told him that there was zucchini in it) so I don't know if that made a difference to them since they love dessert. 

Ingredients:
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup canola oil
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 medium zucchini, trimmed and finely shredded (1 cup)

Directions:
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9x9x2-inch pan with nonstick spray, set aside. In a bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and spices; set aside.
2 In another bowl, whisk eggs. Add sugar and whisk. Whisk in oil and vanilla. Stir in zucchini, then flour mixture. Transfer batter to pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden. Cool in pan on a wire rack.

Nutrition (per square):
188 calories


Zucchini Cakes (not dessert even though it seems like I have a theme going): The kids didn't eat these. Just me. They were also awesome and maybe the kids would have eaten them if I had been willing to share. I didn't even share with the hubby. They are like potato pancakes which I also love. I dipped mine in ranch which was good. Next time I think I will try marinara. I made mine small like an appetizer and this seemed to speed up the cooking time. You definitely need to try them.

0 comments: